Shared Rests

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Shared Rests
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 23:19:43 -0400

Can anyone offer general architectural advice for adding the option for parts
on the same staff to share rests when possible?  I mean without using
\partcombine.  I’d like to focus on multi-measure rests first.  Roughly, I
guess there should be something that watches for notes and rests in all voices,
and if there are only multi-measure rests in the current measure, eliminate all
but one MultiMeasureRest grob (or eliminate them all and create a new one?).
Would that be a new kind of engraver placed at staff level that works
independent of the multi-measure rest engraver, which remains at voice level?
Are there engravers that work similarly that I should study?

TIA
—
Dan