Re: Further GUB failure

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Further GUB failure
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 16:24:01 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2015 4:00 PM

Phil Holmes <address@hidden> writes:

I'm now getting this error:

/home/gub/NewGub/gub/target/darwin-ppc/src/lilypond-git.sv.gnu.org--
lilypond.git-release-unstable/flower/offset.cc:43:25: error: 'isinf' was not
declared in this scope
   if (!isinf (z2[Y_AXIS]))
                         ^

It looks like the compiler cannot find isinf, and possibly this patch is guilty:

isinf is supposed to be defined in cmath (without scoping) which is
included by flower/include/offset.hh.  And of course this works on most
platforms or we'd have gotten complaints already.

Now darwin-ppc is an obsolete platform and consequently our cross
compiler/library is likely not all that up-to-date.  I fear this is
likely a compiler/library bug and it will likely be rather tough to
figure out an appropriate workaround when the only available test is
running GUB by a volunteer without much knowledge about either GUB's
internal workings or Darwin-PPC.

Would it be feasible to run on a version where the patch for issue 4550
has been reverted?  We might cheat our way through in that manner (this
is not likely to have runtime effects) but short of a volunteer to
figure out what's going wrong here in detail, it might mean that maybe
it's time to retire Darwin-PPC.  We can still bring it back in once
somebody volunteers to fix this and possibly future problems.

I applied Hosoda-San's patch and the problem moved to lookup.cc. Fixed that and got a fail with another *.cc. It would seem the best fix would be for someone with the skills in Unix command line to replace all instances of isinf and isnan (any others?) with the std::isnan prefix?

It only takes a couple of minutes for the build to fail, so experimenting to get rid of the bug is not too wearisome.

--
Phil Holmes