Re: thinking twice about the new issue tracker

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: thinking twice about the new issue tracker
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 10:31:41 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Federico Bruni" <address@hidden>

I'm not concerned about the https issue. I'm concerned about the Allura usability and the work on the API/patchy stuff which Phil started recently.

I think Allura will need some time to get used to, but once we are used to it we will find the usability quite adequate: no worse than all the other tools we use!

Also: the API documentation is not good, and I'm struggling to get the authentication piece to work right now, but partly I've found that this is because of our old version of Python: 2.4 and 2.6 lack most of the authentication libraries, and I have no doubt that any other solution would involve the same. I started playing with authentication on 2.7 with a VM from Ubuntu 14.04 and got a little further yesterday.

Finally, FWIW I have no objection to continuing to use SourceForge for issue hosting. I realise it counts as non-free and has had issues over including unwanted functionality in downloads, but Google ain't exactly free either, and we have no intention of using it other than for issue management.

--
Phil Holmes