Re: PATCHES: Countdown for September 8th 2015

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: PATCHES: Countdown for September 8th 2015
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2015 11:10:22 +0100

Hello,

On 05/09/15 09:54, Trevor Daniels wrote:

> Thomas Morley wrote Saturday, September 05, 2015 9:13 AM
>>
>> Where to post the usual "have-pushed"-message?
>>
>> I currently don't have an account at sourceforge and I hesitate to
>> created one, because I have the feeling, if we all do it, sourceforge
>> may become more than a short interim-thingy.
>>
>> Ofcourse this may happen anyway, so if it's the way for now, I'd go for it
>> or
>> I could post the message to the bug-list.
>>
>> What do you think?

@Thomas Morley

I know that since you wrote this you have an account now at SF, but
generally (to those that haven't got one a the moment I am hesitant to
start adding bug to these patch countdowns even as an interim. It's just
too much noise as people start to reply all and cross post the lists. I
have a hard time keeping track of lilypond dev and bug emails as it is.

To those that don't want to create an account on SF for whatever reason,
and that have pushed the patch, you can email me directly with the
commit / date / author message that most of us used to post in the old
Tracker and I can cut/paste that in.

I don't really want Colin and  his team to have to worry about that.
They should just be looking for the pushed/fixed labels (or whatever
method each one uses for themselves) without really needing to go to
git. Especially for those multi-patch fixes which are quite tricky to
prise apart sometimes (at least for me).

If you have a patch that is pushed and you don't tell the group via the
tracker, or me directly, then we may or may not see it and all that will
happen is that you'll just get another email on the next countdown
saying your patch can (still) be pushed. The idea being that if you
don't want to keep getting that email or me pestering you that you can
tell me the commit and I can help do the rest.

> The Bug Squad, especially Colin, have worked hard to
> bring the Issues DB at SF up to date, following the
> hiatus caused by the withdrawal of write-access at GC.
> I think now we need to move to keeping it up to date
> by giving all active developers, i.e. those with
> current patches outstanding, access to maintain it
> wrt their own issues and patches.
>
> Of the six patches currently in patch-push status three
> are owned by devs already registered.  I think the others
> with patches in push status should do so too.
>
> Some discussion on issues is already taking place on SF,
> but I think it is premature for _all_ devs to register,
> even though that means unregistered devs don't receive
> those emails, as some progress is being made with Allura
> at Savannah.  Let's wait another week before suggesting
> all devs register in the hope we can migrate to Savannah
> soon.

Thanks Trevor.

It seems to be working relatively smoothly so far. At least for me anyway.

James