Re: Issues list status

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Issues list status
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 22:46:13 +0200

"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote Tuesday, September 15, 2015 2:39 PM
>
>> Apropos issues: any news about our Allura installation?  What is holding
>> up the migration of the issues there?  The https certificate is not per
>> se a problem since developers can tell their browser explicitly to
>> accept a certificate issued for *.gnu.org even if our own DNS entry does
>> not (yet) fit that pattern.
>
> I agree it's not so much of a problem, but there has been no progress
> or even word of progress from those involved for a couple of weeks.
>
>> Was there anything else?
>
> Yes.  Allura needs access to a mail server in order to send out an
> email to confirm a user's email address before that user's
> registration can be completed (in particular; it's also needed of
> course for emailing out reports of changes to the issues).

Ok, that's an issue.

> At present the attempts to install a working mail server did not
> succeed, and I have seen no progress in resolving this for a couple of
> weeks.

What have you tried?  Who is doing what in regard to a mail server?  Are
we waiting from anybody from Savannah?

> So I cannot register, and so I cannot try a test migration.
>
> Fortunately the temporary set-up at SourceForge seems to be working
> satisfactorily.

Well, it would have been surprising if the company-hosted version
running thousands of other projects didn't work.  The main purpose
behind self-hosting was to be able to _reduce_ the amount of things that
work.  Like advertising, data mining, social network correlation and
similar.