Re: List of Issues with 'patch_abandoned' assigned to them - as ofSeptem

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: List of Issues with 'patch_abandoned' assigned to them - as ofSeptember 2015
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 10:16:05 +0200

"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote Sunday, September 20, 2015 11:34 PM
>
>> James Lowe <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Extra cruft that serves no purpose as I can see.
>>>
>>> We have waiting/needs_work already.
>>
>> Both of those indicate that the Patch is not (yet?) abandoned.
>
> The key difference is one of ownership.  The LP developers have
> a tradition of not interfering (other than by commenting) on the development
> of a patch to an issue already "owned" by someone else.  Patch
> waiting/needs_work means the current owner is still planning to do more
> work, so other devs let it ride.  Patch abandoned means the previous
> dev has given up, so anyone else is free to take it up and change the
> ownership.  Well, at least that's my understanding.

No, that's not entirely related.  I may give up on a particular approach
to an issue, making it pointless to pursue a particular patch, but still
want to cook up a different patch or solve the problem in the context of
another issue.  Patch abandoned just means that the latest proposed
patch is not going to be pursued further, not that the issue owner has
given up on a particular problem altogether.