Re: multiple TextSpanners per voice

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: multiple TextSpanners per voice
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 09:09:51 -0500

Ok, this should do it.

The intention is to provide extra functionality to text spanners.  By using
this code, you have all the functionality of normal text spanners, but you
are able to have multiple spanners per voice.

You simply need to swap the regular engraver for this one in a layout
block, and use the commands I've defined: \startTextSpanOne, and the like.
 (You can change the names, of course, and add more.  This is crying out
for a better interface, I know,)

Regarding difficulties mentioned earlier in the thread:

The spanners should nest properly and maintain their orientation across
line breaks.  Here this is achieved by assigning minute variations of
outside-staff-priority behind the scenes.  (Turns out you can use
outside-staff-priorities like 350.0001 ....) You can still override and
tweak outside-staff-priority of TextSpanner if you want.

I believe that this manipulation may be avoided by inventing a new
alignment grob "to bind them all." but I'm not sure.  Since the attached
seems sufficient, this could wait until time came (if ever) to add this to
the code base.

DN