Re: Reasons why a LilyPond-to-MEI conversion should be developed

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Reasons why a LilyPond-to-MEI conversion should be developed
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 13:52:00 +0200

On 24.10.2015 03:18, Paul Morris wrote:
LilyPond’s internal scheme data structure is a good target for import and export

Or even more so the music stream internally used by LilyPond after Erik Sandberg’s work. IIUC there is some doubt as to how complete the features he describes in his master thesis actually are, but if they were this would be very promising. To quote what I already wrote to the mei2ly-application list:

“Erik Sandberg divided LilyPond into two separate modules, one to parse the input file and create the music stream, and another to read the music stream and layout the music (This change happened somewhat after 2.6.0, IIUC). His master’s thesis, to be found at <http://lilypond.org/pdf/thesis-erik-sandberg>, describes this model. Notably, in chapter 7.3 he describes that he has implemented a facility (where to be found?) for separately running each of the modules. Appendix D contains examples of music stream code, which is in the Scheme language.
And chapter 9 sounds very promising in terms of our current discussion.”

Do we have a possibility of contacting Erik and getting his opinion?

Yours, Simon