Re: Guile-2 and define*-public with curried functions

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Guile-2 and define*-public with curried functions
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2015 18:04:09 +0100

Paul Morris <address@hidden> writes:

>> On Nov 8, 2015, at 9:22 AM, address@hidden wrote:
>>
>> As a note aside, define*-public with curryied functions is broken in
>> Guile-2 and needs to get split into define* and export separately.
>
> Hmmm… this sounds like it might be a relatively straightforward and
> well-defined way to help with the Guile-2 work.  Is that the case?  Am
> I understanding it right that the idea is to avoid using
> define*-public with curried functions in the LilyPond codebase (but
> split these cases into separate define* and export steps)?

Shrug.  It's been done already.

commit 1d3beed53413315ec6c0553b003b8c5776f8c38f
Author: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
Date:   Thu Jun 5 20:34:14 2014 +0200

    Issue 3983: Avoid define-public and define*-public with curried definitions

    Regarding curried definitions, GUILE has problems with define-public
    before version 2.0.10, and with define*-public even later.

    define-safe-public is implemented by LilyPond itself rather than the
    (ice-9 curried-definitions) module and is unproblematic.

    This is basically a cop-out since juggling with overriding bugfix
    definitions of define-public is a distraction for getting GUILEv2
    migration under way that we can do without.