Re: Implement make-bow-stencil, make-tie-stencil for use in markup-comma

From: dak
Subject: Re: Implement make-bow-stencil, make-tie-stencil for use in markup-commands undertie and overtie (issue 270640043 by address@hidden)
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 15:57:49 +0000

On 2015/11/14 21:25:11, thomasmorley651 wrote:
On 2015/11/13 21:51:19, dak wrote:
> Sorry for yet finding more stuff that, after all, could likely be
improved.
At

https://codereview.appspot.com/270640043/diff/60001/scm/define-markup-commands.scm

https://codereview.appspot.com/270640043/diff/60001/scm/define-markup-commands.scm#newcode623
> scm/define-markup-commands.scm:623: (direction DOWN)
> Should this markup command be called "undertie" or should it rather
be "tie",
> with "undertie" explicitly overriding `direction'?
>
> Because the rather explicit name '\undertie' seems a bit
inconsistent with the
> behavior of
>
> {
>   c'1^\markup \undertie hm
> }
>
> where the direction is determined by the direction specified for the
TextScript.

Changed property direction to text-direction, which is in use already.

Uh, that's for left/right direction changes.  I'd strongly recommend
against that.  If we are sure we'll never need to change the direction
based on the markup direction (like, say, over/under actual note
glyphs?), I'd just implement commands undertie/overtie that call some
internal function with the direction to use directly.

If there may be a use case for inheriting direction, some directable
markup command may be useful.  Either it is called (with an appropriate
explicit direction override) by undertie/overtie, or all three call the
same internal function.

https://codereview.appspot.com/270640043/