[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Snippet 706: Generating custom flags

From: Masamichi HOSODA
Subject: Re: Snippet 706: Generating custom flags
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 14:56:25 +0900 (JST)

>>>> pdfTeX warning: pdfetex (file
>>>> /usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/tex-gyre
>>>> /qcsr.pfb): glyph `f_i' undefined
>>> Yep, the font in question only contains `fi' and `fl' glyph names.
>> How could we fix this?
> We can't, except using luatex, as suggested by Masamichi-san.
> Lilypond uses the OpenType (CFF) version of TeXGyreSchola to create
> the PDF.  pdftex, however, uses the Type 1 (PFB) version.  The former
> contains `f_i' and `f_l' glyphs, while the latter has `fi' and `fl'.
> To make the output PDF file as small as possible, pdftex tries (a) to
> merge the (subsetted) fonts of included PDF files, and (b) to subset
> the fonts afterwards again.  To unify fonts, pdftex obviously looks at
> the font name only – it assumes that fonts with identical names have
> identical glyph names, which normally is a sound assumption, but here
> it fails.
> There are two bugs in pdftex.
>   (1) It touches the fonts of an included PDF file without any need,
>       since the test LaTeX document doesn't use TeXGyreSchola.
>   (2) It doesn't check for alternative glyph names of ligatures; due
>       to the Adobe Glyph Name (AGN) algorithm, valid names for the
>       `fi' ligature are both `fi' and `f_i'.
> Similarly, there is a bug in TeXGyre: There is absolutely no need to
> use the two different glyph names `fi' and `f_i', depending on the
> font format.  If you really want to do that, it is trivial to make the
> CFF and PFB version both contain `fi' and `f_i'.
> luatex, on the other hand, also uses the CFF version, so there is no
> font format clash.

Thank you for your explanation.

There may be a workaround that is
to delete all TeX Gyre PFB fonts in pdfTeX search path.
I've deleted them. Then, pdfTeX works fine.

Of course, there are many problems with the workaround.
To use LuaTeX instead of pdfTeX would be a genuine solution.

To use LuaTeX, I've tried following command.

$ PDFTEX=luatex PDFLATEX=lualatex make -j 16 CPU_COUNT=16 LANGS='' doc

Then, it shows the following error.

./18/lily-10433670.texidoc:3: Undefined control sequence.
l.3 ...on, which assigns the symbols *, †, ‡, §
                                                   and ¶ to

If I understand correctly,
it seems that LuaTeX with texinfo.tex can not handle the following letters.

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]