Re: Add RemoveEmptyStavesAll command (issue 283050043 address@hidden)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Add RemoveEmptyStavesAll command (issue 283050043 address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 17:16:36 +0100

"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> writes:

> Simon Albrecht wrote Thursday, January 14, 2016 3:34 PM
>

>> On 14.01.2016 16:20, address@hidden wrote:
>>> The name is rather clumsy (and it does not help that the issue report
>>> talks about "\RemoveEmptyStavesFirst" while the actual patch and the
>>> Rietveld review has "\RemoveEmptyStavesAll").
>>>
>>> How about "\RemoveAllEmptyStaves" ?
>>
>> Vote taken – what do others think?
>
> Definitely better.  With this I don't think we need \RemoveEmptyStavesFirst.
> Is there a musical need to remove empty staves from only the first system?

Wrong question since LilyPond does not even touch staves without
remove-empty being set.

\RemoveEmptyStavesFirst would be used in context definitions to tell
LilyPond "iff a user will add \RemoveEmptyStaves, this should include
the first system".

Since the purpose of the predefined context modifications is to lessen
rather than add confusion, I'd recommend not providing this.  Someone
preparing this amount of prepackaged finesse should be able to use the
explicit override instead.