Re: hyphen syntax

From: Jean-Charles Malahieude
Subject: Re: hyphen syntax
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 11:18:39 +0100

Le 14/02/2016 20:41, Dan Eble a écrit :
Are there technical limitations that require typing a double hyphen
to hyphenate lyrics?  Why not just one?

Technically, I don't know. But, in terms of coherence, I would leave it as it is:

one hyphen is treated as one syllable, just like one underscore "skips" one (group of) note, and I will type my first-name Jean- Char -- les or "Jean -" Char -- les since it's a composed word,

one double-hypen (which may output several dashes depending of the length of a melisma) separates syllables of a same word, like a double-underscore draws a line indicating the last syllable has to last over serveral notes.

Cheers,
Jean-Charles