Re: hyphen syntax

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: hyphen syntax
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 23:43:56 +0100

On 17.02.2016 23:22, Noeck wrote:
Or to come
back to the quote I started with: IMHO a lyric hyphen is not advanced.

You should have come back to the entire quote: ‘And I think the double items suit the advanced functionality better (advanced in comparison to printing a hyphen character from a font).’ I didn’t mean ‘advanced’ in the sense of ‘only for advanced users’ or ‘rare’.
‘-’ prints a hyphen.
‘--’ checks how much space is available, and inserts either nothing, a short hyphen, a full hyphen or multiple hyphens for longer stretches. If we were discussing ‘syl-la-ble’ instead of ‘syl -- la -- ble’ now, this would be a relevant advantage, since one would have to type one character instead of four. [Of course, this would force us to use quotes, if any literal hyphens were to occur inside a word.] But three characters versus four characters to type doesn’t seem enough of a difference to justify the change.

Best, Simon