Re: Lose the tagline (permanently)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Lose the tagline (permanently)
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 19:25:44 +0100

Noeck <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Abraham,
>
> I agree with you. I always change it or remove it for the following reasons:
>
> 1) It is in *English* and would be the only English part in my otherwise
> German score – that looks just unprofessional. That's the most important
> part for me.

So let's try cutting it down to something language independent and
short.  Like

𝄵 www.lilypond.org

> 2) In general such a phrase looks *unprofessional* to me – more like
> some crappy shareware from old times (that Apple does it with "sent
> from my iPhone" doesn't make it better).

Shrug.  Professional and unheard of does not help us.

> 3) People might be *scared away* because of this. And as people know
> this from demo versions, some think you can not or are not allowed to
> remove this line they don't like.

> What I usually do is to set the tag line to "LilyPond 2.19" or the thing
> below [1]. That is a) language independent b) short c) contains all
> relevant information.

Well:

> [1]:
> tagline = \markup
>   \with-url #"http://lilypond.org"; \line {
>     "Lilypond"
>     #(string-join
>       (map (lambda (x) (if (symbol? x)
>                            (symbol->string x)
>                            (number->string x)))
>         (list-head (ly:version) 2))
>       ".")
>     "– www.lilypond.org"
>   }
>
> % for online distribution the www part can be dropped, it is intended
> % for printed scores which don't profit from the link.

The fate of PDF is to be printed.  Particularly those who have never
heard of LilyPond are rather likely to receive a piece of paper rather
than a PDF file.