Re: starting to contribute (GSoC)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: starting to contribute (GSoC)
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 09:08:42 +0100

Am 07.03.2016 um 05:48 schrieb Carl Sorensen:
> On 3/6/16 9:33 PM, "address@hidden on
> behalf of Nathan Chou" <address@hidden
> on behalf of address@hidden> wrote:

>> Also regarding GSoC, currently allowing spanners to cross voices seems to
>> be of most interest to me. Who should I contact (Urs?) to discuss this
>> project and writing a proposal, if it is still a possibility this summer?
>
> Since Urs is listed as the potential mentor, he's the one to contact.  I'd
> expect him to reply to your email.

Well, the subtle labelling scheme we ended up using with during our
recent review of the GSoC page led to the term "*potential* mentor". In
this case it means that I'd be willing to take over some responsibility
for that project but I don't feel qualified to stand up as the primary
mentor. Actually I only have a pretty vague idea how this could be
implemented, I'm not even sure which part of LilyPond has to be workd on
for it.

That said, I think this project would tackle one of the most annoying
limitations of LilyPond, so I would be happy to have it as a GSoC
project. And I must say that it is related to stuff that will sooner or
later have to be implemented anyway, from the perspective of my other
plans. Now we're at the point where we said: Rather keep the project on
the page and search for mentors when there are students interested in it
than hide it away up-front.
So: is there anyone here who feels qualified and could be convinced to
mentor this project? I could help out, but only as a secondary or backup
mentor.

Apart from that I must say that I have sort of a conflict of interests
now, as I'm already discussing another application for the "ScholarLY"
project, which I would definitely mentor.

Best
Urs