Re: Fwd: Custom accidental styles

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Fwd: Custom accidental styles
Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 22:39:12 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Dan Eble <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> From the Guile docs:
>>
>>       `define' (when it occurs at top level), `scm_define' and
>>    `scm_c_define' all create or set the value of a variable in the top
>>    level environment of the current module.  If there was not already a
>>    variable with the specified name belonging to the current module, but a
>>    similarly named variable from another module was visible through having
>>    been imported, the newly created variable in the current module will
>>    shadow the imported variable, such that the imported variable is no
>>    longer visible.
>>
>> So for
>>
>> xxx.yyy = ...
>>
>> we quite likely want set! semantics.  How about for
>>
>> xxx = ...
>>
>> ?
>
> Ugh.
>
> GNU LilyPond 2.19.43
> Processing `input/regression/collision-2.ly'
> Parsing.../usr/local/tmp/lilypond/out/share/lilypond/current/scm/lily-library.scm:583:32:
> In expression (break pred lst):
> /usr/local/tmp/lilypond/out/share/lilypond/current/scm/lily-library.scm:583:32:
> Wrong type to apply: #<Prob: Music C++: Music((origin . #<location
> /usr/local/tmp/lilypond/out/share/lilypond/current/ly/declarations-init.ly:64:9>)
> (break-permission . force))((display-methods #<procedure #f (expr)>)
> (name . LineBreakEvent) (types line-break-event break-event event)) >
>
> `break' is a procedure (automatically loaded) in (srfi srfi-1).  It is
> also a music expression in ly/declarations-init.ly.
>
> Overwriting it does not seem like a good idea...

So the question is what to do with partial list assignments.  The
assumption would likely be that the user _knows_ he wants to modify an
existing list in its own module when not writing xxx = #'() before
assigning to xxx.yyy.

But I'm queasy about that.  It could result in spacing settings in some
\header or \layout to have more global effects than intended.