Re: Mixing music and markup in Scheme

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Mixing music and markup in Scheme
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 12:14:35 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 11:58 AM

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

mus = \relative c''
{ c4 d e \once \set suggestAccidentals = ##t fis
}

\score {
 \new MensuralStaff \with { \override
AccidentalSuggestion.glyph-name-alist =
     #alteration-mensural-glyph-name-alist }
   {
     \new MensuralVoice { \mus }
   }
}

Excellent, as always.  Thanks.

Well, not really.  Should AccidentalSuggestion.glyph-name-alist be
changed by default here?  Or are the ficta signs in mensural music
usually added as well as styled modernly?

I think it should be changed by default for mensural music. I have never seen a modern style accidental in mensural music. I also believe their meaning is different: it seems simply an alternative way of showing an accidental, rather than illustrating an editorial suggestion.

Should there be some more obvious interface?  And/or documentation?

I think if it's not the default, then it should be documented. If it is the default, probably no need.

FYI attached is an image from a 1597 publication showing both styles.

--
Phil Holmes