Re: Replace `-dgs-load-fonts' to `--bigpdfs' in lilypond-book (issue 300

From: trueroad
Subject: Re: Replace `-dgs-load-fonts' to `--bigpdfs' in lilypond-book (issue 300280043 by address@hidden)
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 06:20:47 -0700

Mhmm.  As James writes, this can easily break.

My proposal never change the font selection method.

It changes the font embedding method for intermediate EPS.

Current "make doc" works as follows:

For all fonts, the font file name is embedded.
In other words, the font glyphs are not embedded.
So EPS file size can be small.

My proposal works as follows:

For "LilyPond fonts", the font file name is embedded.
For other fonts, the font glyphs are embedded.
In other words, most fonts file name is embedded. (Emmentaler and TeX
Gyre)
The glyphs of few fonts are embedded. (e.g. Linux Libertine etc.)
So EPS file size does not almost increase.

Either way, intermediate and final PDF is embedded subset fonts in the
same way.

I think that my proposal is temporary solution.

It can solve the problem that lilypond-book can not use OTC fonts.
In other words, "make doc" can use OTC fonts.
Required disk space for "make doc" does not almost increase.

If quickly the ideal can be achieved, my proposal is not required.

https://codereview.appspot.com/300280043/