Re: What to do with input/regression/page-spacing.ly

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: What to do with input/regression/page-spacing.ly
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 10:55:19 +0200

> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> in input/regression/page-spacing.ly several commands for
>>     \overrideProperty
>>     Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn.line-break-system-details
>> are applied, i.e. settings for Y-extent, refpoint-Y-extent,
>> next-padding, next-space, bottom-space.
>>
>> As far as I can tell none of them has any visual effect anymore as
>> opposed to (far) earlier ly-version.
>> Attached a cut off from
>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/input/regression/collated-files.pdf
>> page 86
>> (In my pdf-viewer every glyph is omitted, incompatlible software for
>> such an old file I guess, but that's not the point here)
>> You'll see those settings _had_ an effect with v2.10
>> Additionally, the `obsolete-between-system-space` there let me guess
>> that convert-ly was applied to it at some point of time and since then
>> nobody touched it.
>>
>> Strange enough, the last commit I've found tackling paper-system.scm is
>
> Cf.
> <URL:https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2015-06/msg00068.html>
> and Trevor's answer.
>
> Not that this is overly conclusive about what we should do here.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

Well, the underlaying, general problem is:
Right now we have fixed and flexible variables for page-layout and
vertical spacing for _automatic_ layout/spacing.
And we have a machanism to do it explicit and manual.
The explicit method works fine, if one does the _whole_ layout/spacing
manual with the documented X-offset, Y-offset and alignment-distances.

But if one wants to use automatic layout/spacing and only tweak it a
little sometimes, only alignment-distances works without disturbing
the automatism. X-offset and Y-offset are working more like
'extra-offset.

I think it's desireable to get (at least some of) the old
possibilities working again, so that the interplay of manually
tweaking the automatic behaviour works nicely.
No idea how hard it would be to reimplement this, though.

Right now the regtest only demonstrates what's _not_ working...
We could change it to use and test X-offset, Y-offset and
alignment-distances and open issue(s) on the tracker for the others.
Ofcourse this would be more or less administrative, nothing else.

Cheers,
  Harm