Re: Gub failure

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Gub failure
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 13:15:34 +0200

Phil Holmes <address@hidden> writes:

> Trying to build Gub today, I get the following failures:
>
> /home/gub/NewGub/gub/target/mingw/src/lilypond-git.sv.gnu.org--lilypond.git-
> release-unstable/lily/dynamic-performer.cc: In member function 'Real
> Dynamic_performer::compute_departure_volume(Direction, Real, Real, Real,
> Real)':
> /home/gub/NewGub/gub/target/mingw/src/lilypond-git.sv.gnu.org--lilypond.git-
> release-unstable/lily/dynamic-performer.cc:259:19: error: expected
> unqualified-id before '=' token
>    const Real near = minmax (depart_dir, start_vol, end_vol)
>                    ^
> /home/gub/NewGub/gub/target/mingw/src/lilypond-git.sv.gnu.org--lilypond.git-
> release-unstable/lily/dynamic-performer.cc:261:18: error: expected
> unqualified-id before '=' token
>    const Real far = minmax (-depart_dir, start_vol, end_vol)
>                   ^
> There are further similar errors.
>
> Anyone know what's going on?

"target/mingw" would be seminal here I think.  I am surprised that we
are getting this even when crosscompiling with GCC but at any rate in
Microsoft compilers, "far"/"near" are keywords indicating
pointer/segmentation type.  So when working with system headers, GCC is
likely to assign some sort of meaning to those words (via preprocessor
if not via core language).

Try replacing the occurences of the identifiers "far" and "near" with
"far_vol" and "near_vol" (I haven't looked at the actual code so this
name might or might not be appropriate) and see whether this makes Gub
happier.