Re: Issue 4947: Link notes to dynamics in Dynamic_performer rather than

From: ht . lilypond . development
Subject: Re: Issue 4947: Link notes to dynamics in Dynamic_performer rather than Staff_performer. (issue 304260043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2016 13:53:47 -0700

It indeed seems much more logical to associate the Audio_span_dynamic of
each note in Dynamic_performer rather than Staff_performer, and avoid
the side effects caused by identifying Voices by their name in
Staff_performer (in the corner case of identically named Voices).

(I don't really have a strong opinion about whether these side effects
could have originally been intentional or not [as sharing dynamics
between Voices could even have its uses] since, taken in isolation, the
previous Staff_performer code doesn't give any obvious clues about this
either way.  As there are other developers who think the previous
behavior is a bug, however, I have nothing against fixing the behavior
like this, and will simplify the documentation patch issue 4920
accordingly.)

Having regression tests for this functionality could be useful to
document the intended behavior after this change (and might be helpful
to anyone trying to understand the design behind the implementation
later).

https://codereview.appspot.com/304260043/