Re: [LilyIssues-auto] [testlilyissues:issues] #4975 [Windows] Gracenotes

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: [LilyIssues-auto] [testlilyissues:issues] #4975 [Windows] Gracenotes cause staff to protrude into the margin
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 08:41:21 +0100

--
Phil Holmes
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2016 5:54 PM

Auto mailings of changes to Lily Issues
<address@hidden>
writes:

Later versions throw an assertion pointing to simple-spanner.cc.  This
file was edited in commit

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/lilypond.git/commit/lily/simple-spacer.cc?id=e0af94bb8939bc6f4998db6294010baa77139092

which looks far more likely to the culprit.  Can anyone who
understands this stuff (paging David really) make a comment?

The given diff is most definitely harmless.  "Newly" failed assertions
are much more likely to be the consequence of commit

commit a4cc910a3401d25bb94ff0ecb4dc18f681c71004
Author: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
Date:   Tue May 12 19:01:57 2015 +0200

   Issue 2787: Sanitize usage of -DDEBUG, -DNDEBUG and assert

   The compiler option -DNDEBUG is no longer being used: -DNDEBUG disables
   the assert function, and assert is essentially stating that the program
   cannot useful continue if the assertion is not met.  -DNDEBUG is
   basically an option for compiling an application to a limited amount of
   ROM when aborting with a diagnostic is not preferable to crashing.

   This is not the case for LilyPond.  So expensive debugging options now
   are enabled with -DDEBUG instead.  There is a new configure option
   --enable-checking defaulting to "off" for this now.

   At the current point of time, setting --disable-optimising also has the
   effect of enabling the checks: this will be retained until Patchy has
   been adapted to using --enable-checking.

from version 2.19.21.  However, there also is

commit d757a1b2b65c5f880af67702f1eaf5fda681724e