Re: music function to be included somewhere in scm/*

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: music function to be included somewhere in scm/*
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 00:12:52 +0100 (CET)

> What I meant is that I do believe that it is impossible to
> mechanically translate an old score to give exactly the same result
> with the new code.

`Exactly the same' should not be the goal IMHO – we have to freeze the
sources (similar to TeX) to achieve that.  The output should rather be
`reasonable'.

> We do not need "__", so eliminate it:  sed -e "s/__//g"
>
> Ok, that looks good.  But wait: There is a melisma, and it would be
> longer than minimum-length, the new engraver adds an extender line.
> But there is no "__", so the old code did not engrave an extender
> line.  Ok, add an override to be sure there is no extender with the
> new code.  Is convert.ly intelligent enough to handle that problem
> correctly?  I doubt that although I admit that I never had a look at
> the code.

Well, we had similar, incompatible updates already.  The usual route
was to make `convert-ly' try the best and emit a message

  Not smart enough to convert foo.
  Please refer to the manual for details, and update manually.

    Werner