Re: Free alternatives to Rietveld?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Free alternatives to Rietveld?
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 19:12:43 +0000

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 02:39:09PM +0000, James wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 13:33:11 +0100
> Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Whatever the reason for this weirdness, I think it would really be
> > better if we had a code review tool which didn’t rely on external
> > login providers. Is there really no free alternative?
>
> We had a 'similar' discussion back in 2013
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2013-09/msg00351.html

Heh, yes!

I'm aware of problems with the existing setup -- in fact, my first
few patches were delayed by half a week because I had problems
setting it up.  Quite apart from the loss of time, that was a huge
drain on my energy and motivation.

A week ago, I started investigating alternatives.  As always, my
primary motivation is *not* adding any additional burden to our
experienced developers.  I have not yet reached the point at which
it would be useful to discuss any proposals on -devel, though.

(As we can see from the 2013 emails, a very wide-ranging
discussion quickly becomes bogged down and fails to produce
results.  If anybody is very interested in the "alternatives"
question and is willing to do 2-5 hours of work that will probably
end up being discarded, feel free to contact me off-list.)