Re: LilyDev 5.0 released

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: LilyDev 5.0 released
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 09:19:11 +0100

Il 28 dic 2016 8:46 PM Thomas Morley <address@hidden> ha scritto:

> Hi Federico,

> > Hi all
> >
> > Eventually I managed to build the new ISO.
> > I decided to upgrade to Stretch (still in testing), because otherwise I had
> > problems with pinning guile-2.0 from testing. Another advantage is that in
> > Stretch there's also LxQT (successor of LXDE), which seems lightweight,
> > fast
> > and feature-rich.
> >
> > You can donwload the image here:
> > https://github.com/fedelibre/LilyDev/releases/tag/v5.0
> >
> > Let me know if you find any problem.

> I just tried it, but had to download a newer VirtualBox than my 64-bit
> Ubuntu-16.04 offered, i.e I switched from 5.0.24 to 5.1.11.
> It firstly didn't work out, although I followed Jame's advice right
> from the start. No idea how I got it finally working ...

I don't know what might be wrong with older versions of VirtualBox, as I test
the images with libvirt only.

> Though, I was surprised not to find the lilypond-git-repo. Did I
> overlook somthing?
> Anyway I cloned it manually.

The first time you log in you should see a terminal popping up and asking for
your name and email for git commits; then all the required repos are downloaded.
The setup script is called by this file:

https://github.com/fedelibre/LilyDev/blob/master/config/includes.chroot/etc/skel/.config/autostart/lilydev.desktop

Do you have this file within your home directory?
~/.config/autostart/lilydev.desktop

Is qterminal installed?

I'm on a mobile phone now, I'll check it on 2nd of January.

> Compiling LilyPond with ../configure --enable-guile2 returns:
> [...]
> WARNING: Please consider installing optional programs or files:  URW++
> OTF fonts (download OTF files from
> 'http://git.ghostscript.com/?p=urw-core35-fonts.git;a=commit;h=79bcdfb34fbce12b592cce389fa7a19da6b5b018'
>
> and put them under '~/.local/share/fonts' etc., or use
> --with-urwotf-dir) extractpdfmark (Optionally using Ghostscript >=
> 9.20 together with Extract PDFmark can significantly reduce the disk
> space required for building the documentation and the final PDF
> files.)
> [...]
>
> May I suggest to include those fonts in next release?

I thought about including the fonts, but then I changed my mind because they
are optional and there's an open issue in the tracker to find a solution for
this. But I can add them, if you think it's worth.

> Otherwise it works fine so far, maybe a bit slower than usual. (Not
> LilyPond, but the whole thingy.)
> Or maybe more memory-consuming (I remember this from earlier versions of VB).

Strange, I experienced the opposite. I guess that it depends on the hardware?