Re: LilyPond 2.20 release process

From: Chris Yate
Subject: Re: LilyPond 2.20 release process
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2017 11:23:58 +0000

On Sat, 31 Dec 2016 at 18:52 Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:

> Phil Holmes wrote Saturday, December 31, 2016 11:03 AM
>

> >I think there are a few bugs that need attention prior to stable release.
> > https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/4975/ is one I'm aware
> of,
> > and there are a number of ones marked as critical.
>
> There are four bugs marked as critical regressions, see:
>

> https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/search/?q=%28_type%3ACritical+OR+labels%3ARegression%29+AND+%28status%3ANew+OR+status%3AAccepted+OR+status%3AStarted%29
>
> It seems the sources of these bugs have been traced to patches submitted
> by devs who are no longer active:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/4807/
>
> Keith O'Hara
>
> https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/4751/
>
> John Gourlay
>
> https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/4182/
>
> Janek Warchol
>
> https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/3778/
>
> Mike Solomon
>
> The patches are all large and quite far-reaching, so reversion is not an
> option.  Debugging has been attempted and (so far) abandoned.  So it is not
> clear what should be done.
>
> Discuss.
>
> Trevor

Hmm. No, agreed, not ready for release yet. This one prevents me using
Lilypond on Windows for anything other than pathologically small projects
(i.e. nothing that's actually useful).

We've traced the symptom of the crash down to Assertions being raised since
some point in 2.19, but AFAIK the cause is still unknown.

I've tried to create a symbols build so we can trace back / debug, but Gub
is simply not working for me. I don't really have the time to investigate
the Lilypond bug (which I have motivation to do), so I really don't have
time to investigate why Gub isn't working (which I really don't have
motivation for).

I've given up trying to make an instrumented build of Lilypond for
Windows/Mingw now, so if anybody else is able to create one for me that'd
be very welcome.

Chris