Contemporary notation (Re: GSoC projects list)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Contemporary notation (Re: GSoC projects list)
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 09:15:22 +0100

One thing I'm missing about our projects list is actual *notation*
projects. Currently (i.e. when the current wave of purges has been
completed) there is no project that adds to or improves LilyPond's
notation. All projects are important items, but maybe this isn't really
attractive to students.

I have one suggestion for which I could be a mentor, but I would really
prefer to act as *secondary* advisor only, with someone else being the
primary mentor: creating a library for contemporary notation. Obviously
it would be an openLilyLib project again, and I'm not feeling 100%
comfortable with that, but I'm sure it would be attractive for potential
students, and it would also add some prominently visible new features to
LilyPond.

LilyPond's programmability and especially the provision to make enhanced
features available through (more or less) easy-to-use commands is one of
the major features I've been lobbying with over the recent years. And
with regard to contemporary notation this feature outweighs (IMO) the
fact that creating non-standard notation is more complicated than by
using arbitrary drawing tools.

openLilyLib is a suitable framework to build such a contemporary
notation package and making it easily accessible. What I'm thinking of
is not a flat collection of notation elements but rather a hierarchy of
building blocks that can be used to easily build concrete notation elements.

Feedback for that? Any of the more proficient composers out there
willing to join?

Urs

--
address@hidden