Re: Cleaning up GSoC project ideas

From: Paul
Subject: Re: Cleaning up GSoC project ideas
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 09:40:04 -0500

On 02/02/2017 04:10 PM, Urs Liska wrote:

However, I suggest that we either remove such orphaned projects or at
least compress and move them down to the bottom of the page. A concise
page with actual and current projects is quite important for attracting
students, I think.

Sorry for the delay responding... I'd rather not lose them from the website entirely just because they don't currently have a mentor (as long as we think they are viable student projects). What if next year new/old mentors are available?

But since you think it's important to remove or demote those projects... Why don't we move them to the "attic" page. Then next year we can easily look at them again to see if mentors are available and we want to promote them back up to the GSOC page?

Might also be worth putting the grace note one there with a note that we decided it was too much for a GSOC project. Otherwise people may re-propose it in the future.

The question is what will remain, and I *strongly* encourage all of you
to consider the existing list and/or think about projects that could be
suitable for a student to tackle in three months of full-time work, and
where you could consider volunteering to be listed as a mentor.

I haven't been able to think of any new projects. I'd consider being a mentor for something involving scheme, but I haven't had a chance to look at the list or think further about it.

-Paul