[Guile 2.2]

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: [Guile 2.2]
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 15:52:27 +0100

Hi all,

guile 2.1.8 is released, which will be the next step towards the new
stable guile 2.2.

Hence I'd think I should share my test-results
I've successfully build guile-2.1.8 from the guile-repo and had a
successful make and a full make doc on the lily-repo.
I made a regtest-comparison to a build with guile-1.8.8: no differences.
How lilypond with guile-2.18 behaves with respect to the known
problems (speed, etc) I have to check further, though I expect not a
real improvement, since I didn't notice any guile-patches concerning
lily-problems (I may be wrong here, though, further testings will show
it).

Regarding recent posts on the guile-mailing-lists I don't think the
actual stable guile-2.0.x will see any relevant improvement for us. So
I'll drop any work to make lilypond accept any guile-2.0.x. Instead
focussing on upcoming guile-2.2.

@David K
Regarding a new stable lilypond-2.20 you recommended to put all
relevant patches of the branch dev/guile-v2-work into master, where
needed with if-guile2-conditions.
Up to now I hesitated to do so.
(1)
If someone wants to work on the issue, he can checkout the branch,
rebase and can start.
Putting in some patches with if-guile2-conditions into master will
likely cause merge-conflicts.
How should we deal with this?
(2)
All patches there are not from me (I have a concurrent patch for a
certain issue lying around and localy some others on top of that
branch).
What to do with patches from other authors?
(3)
For patches with C++ code I feel not confident enough to add
if-guile2-conditions myself.
How to proceed?

Cheers,
  Harm