Re: Improve internal chord structure

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: Improve internal chord structure
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 17:07:14 +0200

I hope to send something more specifically about chords after some rest.

Here are my 2cents:
Defining the chords by a list of notes for jazz tunes can't  ever
cover all sorts of voicings.

Are you confusing "pitch" and "note" here?  Notes are a LilyPond data
structure that have more properties than just a pitch.  Several are
already used for disambiguating chords entered in chord mode.

Very likely, i don't know much of the lilypond internals.

Fortunately, this isn't at all needed for typesetting e.g. a
jazz-tune.  It is sufficient to only have the root note, e.g. C from
C:m7, in a musical/transposeable context, the rest of the chord(here
m7) could just be represented as text as-it-is.

Maybe, from this point of view, there could be an alternative method
for typestting chords be implemented?

I don't see what you are trying to achieve here.

English is not my native language, but i try:
I wanted to point out, that the idea to get e.g.
c' e' g' a' from the chord c:6 is not really correct/complete and not of much use, for various reasons:
-unclear in which octave
-unclear which voicing
-Not all pitches needed to be there(may be too much/dense) to make the chord clear
-c' e' g' a' could be interpreded as chord a:m7

In a reallife jazz context, it's up to the player/band what to do with chords. Lilypond is not a playalong-generator, but lilypond should typeset chords. Lilypond can do this in most cases, but in my opinion the mapping to single pitches/notenames is an unneeded, complicated and errorprone overhead.

So, reducing the lilypond chord-handling to a singel pitch/root-note + text/chord-description would be sufficient to typeset. This way, all sorts of chord-types. e.g. c7/b9/#9/b5/whatever are possible, without worrying about implementing all possibilities how a chord could be interpreted.

I hope something is more clear now ;-)

Johannes