Re: Implement extra-offset for system positioning (issue 324810043 by ad

From: thomasmorley65
Subject: Re: Implement extra-offset for system positioning (issue 324810043 by address@hidden)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 15:49:25 -0700

On 2017/04/28 22:27:12, david.nalesnik wrote:
On 2017/04/28 22:24:57, david.nalesnik wrote:
> On 2017/04/28 16:15:42, david.nalesnik wrote:
> > On 2017/04/28 15:50:52, dak wrote:
> > > Does an extra-offset in X direction even make sense when the
systems are
> > spaced
> > > according to their skylines _before_ the extra-offset is
applied?

> > Well, X-offset of line-break-system-details is applied in
make-page-stencil,
> > too.
>
> In any case, having an extra-offset in the Y direction is obviously
much more
> useful.  Extra-offset in the X direction seems a bit superfluous,
since it's
> easy enough to set 'X-offset based on the left edge of the printing
space.

Or, rather, I would imagine that the extra-offset setting for X would
be the
same as X-offset....

> My
> original code created an extra-Y-offset, and I'm happy to go back to
this.

> Opinions?

If I understand correctly the default systems X/Y-offset is calculated
elsewhere, I like the possibility to offset those values.
So I'd vote for keeping extra-offset as in your last patch-set.
Although I'm aware David K's point is important, I think a user doing
manual positioning, is responsible to deal with possible problems
(collisions), too.

https://codereview.appspot.com/324810043/