Re: [partcombine] honouring Voice context name

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: [partcombine] honouring Voice context name
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 19:20:36 +0000

On 6/6/17 12:45 PM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of Kieren MacMillan"
<address@hidden on behalf of
address@hidden> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I'm looking at make-directed-part-combine-music, and wondering why the
>voice names are hard-coded ("one" and "two")Š
>
>It seems to me that if a Voice context passed to partcombine is already
>named, that name should be honoured by partcombine. Only if the context
>is not already named should a name be added (for obvious programming
>reasons).

I don't think that Voice contexts are passed to partcombine in the current
usage (although I guess they can be).

My typical usage would be:

partOne = {Š}
partTwo = {Š}

\new Staff {
  \partcombine \partOne \partTwo
}

I guess one could have

partOne = \context Voice = voiceOne {Š}
partTwo = \context Voice = voiceTwo {Š}

\new Staff {
  \partcombine \partOne \partTwo
}

But it was my understanding that partcombine actually acts on the music
expressions, rather than as part of the iteration (which assigns the music
expressions to contexts).

But I haven't checked the source on this specific occasion.

>Is there any technical reason that I shouldn't consider rewriting
>make-directed-part-combine-music such that any previously-defined Voice
>context name is honoured?

I guess what you are saying is that if the parts to be combined are each
context-specced-music, use those contexts.  If they are not, use  the
default contexts.  It seems to me that could be a worthwhile approach.

Thanks,

Carl