Re: [partcombine] honouring Voice context name

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: [partcombine] honouring Voice context name
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 19:30:41 -0400

Hi Dan,

> If we’re going to ask that kind of question, let’s mention a more radical
> redesign.

I would be happy with a "radical redesign", if that's what it takes to (a)
solve some of the problems I face with partcombine on a daily basis, or (b)
establish a good base for future development/improvement, or (c) both of the
above.

> The context properties of a part, such as stem direction, need to change as
> the part’s relationship with other parts changes.  The current part combiner
> accomplishes this with a set of voices with fixed properties.  It slices the
> part into pieces and distributes them to the voice with the appropriate
> properties.
>
> Could it not leave the parts where they are (continuous parts in exactly one
> voice context per part) and change their context properties instead?

Not sure I quite understand what you're suggesting…

> I’m not sure I was clear.  Those are examples of things I’ve actually
> accomplished using most of the scheme parts of the part combiner as shipped
> with Lilypond.  I was trying to point out that there is already more internal
> flexibility than meets the eye.  Depending on your use cases, you might
> already be able to take advantage of it.

Well, in regard to at least one of the problems I'm facing, David K has
indicated that "the principles of the mechanisms are incompatible"
(translation: can't use what's shipped with Lilypond).

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info