Re: Enhance the -dpreview method for SVG output (issue 326960043 by addr

From: Carl . D . Sorensen
Subject: Re: Enhance the -dpreview method for SVG output (issue 326960043 by address@hidden)
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2017 05:22:02 -0700

I have listed some specific changes that must be made (move to the
proper alphabetical order)  and raised questions about how the code
works with an apparently misspelled argument.  I believe both of those
need to be fixed before pushing the patch.

I would also like to see crop apply to at least the pdf backend in
addition to svg, if it's not too much work.

https://codereview.appspot.com/326960043/diff/1/Documentation/usage/running.itely
File Documentation/usage/running.itely (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/326960043/diff/1/Documentation/usage/running.itely#newcode683
Documentation/usage/running.itely:683: @tab Match the size of the normal
output to the typeset image for SVGs.
This should be placed in alphabetical order (about line 532)

I would prefer to see the description be something like

Match the size of the normal output to the typeset image (currently only
implemented for svg backend).

Actually, I'd even more prefer to have the crop function work on the pdf
backend as well as the svg backend.  Have you investigated whether your
code could work on PDF as well?

Also, the placement of crop in this file causes reading problems,
because it's placed in the middle of preview, and the text below says
"This option is supported by all backends", which applies to preview,
but not to crop.

https://codereview.appspot.com/326960043/diff/1/scm/framework-svg.scm
File scm/framework-svg.scm (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/326960043/diff/1/scm/framework-svg.scm#newcode173
scm/framework-svg.scm:173: (define (dump-page-crop paper filename page
page-number page-count stensil)
Hmm -- the argument here is spelled "stensil"

https://codereview.appspot.com/326960043/diff/1/scm/framework-svg.scm#newcode178
scm/framework-svg.scm:178: (x-extent (ly:stencil-extent stencil X))
But here it is spelled "stencil"

How does this work?  Perhaps the stencil argument is unnecessary and not
doing anything here?  I'm confused.

https://codereview.appspot.com/326960043/diff/1/scm/lily.scm
File scm/lily.scm (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/326960043/diff/1/scm/lily.scm#newcode341
scm/lily.scm:341: (crop
This should be put in the proper alphabetical order (up at line 231),
rather than placed under preview

https://codereview.appspot.com/326960043/