Re: Use -b together with -dgs-never-embed-fonts (issue 325630043 by addr

From: trueroad
Subject: Re: Use -b together with -dgs-never-embed-fonts (issue 325630043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2017 03:05:43 -0700

On 2017/09/24 00:25:17, knupero wrote:
> If I understand correctly, `--bigpdfs` / `-b` has two effects.
> One is to embed full set (non-subset) font.
> The other is to define and use some encodings for Emmentaler.

It also changes the way emmentaler glyphs are printed. With --bigpdfs
we use the
"show" postscript operator, without it we still use "glyphshow". And
the three
emmentaler fonts for every size in the intermediate versions of our
pdfs are not
3 copies of the full emmentaler-xx font but are three different fonts
made of
emmentaler-xx glyphs. Those subsets must not be further subsetted.

I wrote "to define and *use* the some encodings".
If I understand correctly, "glyphshow" doesn't use any encodings but
"show" uses the encoding.
What I wrote as "use" means using "show" instead of "glyphshow".

No, it is senseless to split -b into separate options.

Again, when both `-dgs-never-embed-fonts` and `--bigpdfs`/`-b` are used
at the same time, the intermediate PDFs become larger.
The disk size that `make doc` eats becomes increased.

If spliting -b, `-dgs-never-embed-fonts -duse-notation-font-encodings`
doesn't embed full set TrueType fonts.
It embeds subset for TrueType fonts, as with only using
`-dgs-never-embed-fonts`.
The intermediate PDFs don't become larger.
The disk size that `make doc` eats doesn't become increased.
Nevertheless, the encodings for notation font is defined and "show" is
used.
In my humble opinion, this is better than `-dgs-never-embed-fonts -b`.

Of course, if we do not have to worry about the increase in disk size
required, splitting -b is senseless as you wrote.

https://codereview.appspot.com/325630043/