Re: Terminology of baseMoment, beats, groups

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Terminology of baseMoment, beats, groups
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 12:52:44 +0100

Am 11.11.2017 um 12:30 schrieb David Kastrup:
I find "grouping" without "beat" fine.  I could have been responsible
for the terminology in the code (pretty sure I wasn't, but it matches
the terminology I use quite better).

Now I have certainly not gotten an English music education, so can
someone who did chime in?

I haven't either, but I can refer to Gould's terminology. While we all agree that no single engraving book provides "the truth", it is surely a good idea to match her terminology, if only to be able to communicate with users/developers of other programs.

She says: "Divisions of a beat are beamed together in all metres." and states 2/4, 6/8, and 2/2 as metres of 2 beats. (p. 153, "Beaming according to the metre")
3/2, and 9/16 are given as examples of metres of 3 beats.

So it's clear that her terminology matches that of beatStructure, "beat" = "beat" and "baseMoment" = "Division of a beat".

The example I gave is also present in her examples (p. 155), other examples of metres with beats of different lengths include 5/16 (2+3 or 3+2) and 7/8.

So I think we can safely say the terminology of beatStructure is correct (or at least acceptable).

"Beat" also refers to what a conductor would do. the 3+3+2 from my example would be given as three "beats" by the conductor. Maybe your perception of "beat" as necessarily regular comes from the fact that in German we use "beat" too, but usually referring to specific styles that are limited to regular beats ...