Re: -dcrop not included in 2.20?

From: Joram
Subject: Re: -dcrop not included in 2.20?
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2017 14:05:32 +0100

Hi David,

I appreciate your work on lilypond and I have no reason to doubt your
capability as the release manager for the upcoming 2.20 release.

What is intransparent to me is, how the inclusion of patches into
lilypond is decided. Is there a defined procedure? I think it is obvious
that someone who has written a patch (and not just put something on a
wishlist) has some interest to see it included.

What I know from other collaborative software development is roughly this:
- There is a proposed patch (pull request or similar)
- There is some discussion
  a) If all agree that is a good request it gets merged
  b) If there are severe objections it gets rejected
  c) If the basic idea is fine but there are things to improve, it can
     be improved until it reaches a state that qualifies for merging.
- Many ticket systems also have a "I am also affected" or "I also like
  this" button - so asking again is nothing peculiar

For the patch under discussion, you had no objections. As you wanted to
be quoted, here is your statement:

> Currently I am undecided.  The code is separated
> well enough and clearly does not get exercised without specifying the
> option.  So it's not going to harm existing functionality.

That's all positive. Sounds like (a) to me. Étienne asks why the logical
next step (merging) is not done.

> I am not sure it will stay around in exactly this formBut, well, that's a weak
> argument against it.

Could be (c), but unclear why 'this form' could require changes in the
future. In the end, I understand your statement as "ready for merging".
But I am not 100% sure. Is it a matter of time or of objections?

Does that make it clearer why I am confused (and perhaps why Étienne was
asking again)? It is really not meant as an offence. I am just trying to
understand in which state this issue is.

Cheers,
Joram