Re: 1/8 and 1/16 feta flags too wide?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: 1/8 and 1/16 feta flags too wide?
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 19:37:39 +0100 (CET)

>> While checking Malte's feta flag patches I've just seen that the
>> 1/8 and 1/16 up-flags (i.e., glyphs `flags.u3' and `flags.u4') have
>> a width approx. 10% larger than other `flags.uX' glyphs – this is
>> also reflected in the lilypond metrics embedded in the fonts.  Note
>> that the two larger widths are artificial (i.e., manually specified
>> to be larger than the actual shape).
>>
>> Is there any reason for this?  Given that there is always the need
>> of compressing music horizontally, having too wide flags looks
>> counterproductive.
>
> What does "git blame" tell you on the respective code passages for
> the different flag versions?  I mean, there might have been a reason
> or there might have been some oversight.
>
> [...]
> width of flags.u3 and u4:
> hip_width# + stemthickness# / 2 + right_upflag_space#
>
> width of flags.u5, u6, u7, etc.:
> hip_width# + right_upflag_space#

It seems that the metric differences were introduced in commit
7c1cb1429 (from 2003); the `stemthickness# / 2' part was removed from
all flags except u3 and u4.

Malte (or Thorsten), can you check whether formatting of 1/8 and 1/16
flags improves if the width is harmonized with the other flags?

    Werner