Re: lilypond-invoke-editor 'fix' for issue 5243

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: lilypond-invoke-editor 'fix' for issue 5243
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 11:24:39 +0000 (GMT)

Hello Gabriel

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 01:14:20 -0000, "Gabriel Corona" <address@hidden> wrote:

> AFAIU, the fix of lilypond-invoke-editor is not merged. I still have this:
>
> ~~~
> (define (run-browser uri)
>   (system
>    (if (getenv "BROWSER")
>        (format #f "~a ~a" (getenv "BROWSER") uri)
>        (format #f "firefox -remote 'OpenURL(~a,new-tab)'" uri))))
> ~~~

You also said:

With this patch lilypond-invoke-editor only
handles textedit URIs, and it does no longer
use the systems command processor but
guiles system* procedure for those URIs.

AFAIU, this is not completely true. It does handle other URIs. If there's no
intent to fix the command injection vulnerability in lilypond-invoke-editor,
run-browser and the (run-browser ...) branch in main should be removed
altogether.

Another solution would be to (shell-quote-argument uri) in run-browser (though
I'd be more confident with using system on non-Windows).

> Sent from sourceforge.net ...
> <https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/5243/>

I am ccing the dev group in email as this issue is marked as 'closed/fixed' and
the code is checked in to current master so if we need to do something more we
may need to create a new ticket than re-open this.

You may not get discussion thread going via a closed ticket.

Maybe someone in the dev team can comment.

Regards

James