Re: How to update a remote branch (remotes/origin/dev/guile-v2-work)

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: How to update a remote branch (remotes/origin/dev/guile-v2-work)
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2018 00:24:05 +0200

> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> If you are really sure that your branch's commits are fine,

Well, I'm not sure my additional patches are the best possible ones,
rather I'm sure they are not.
Though, this _is_ an experimental branch to check for and experiment
with guile up to 2.2.3 and to continue work on migrating.
If I start trying to integrate them in master they will need to go
through the review-circle anyway.

Nevertheless, I'm sure they will lead to a successfull `make' (I
checked already), this should hold for `make doc' as well as far as
those patches are concerned.
Theoretically some new stuff in master may break something (although I
don't believe so), but I did not test for a few weeks.

> you delete
> with
>
>     git push origin :refs/heads/dev/guile-v2-work
>
> and then push your current state with
>
>     git push origin HEAD:refs/heads/dev/guile-v2-work
>
> Note that you can, in theory, delete the old branch just writing
>
>     git push origin :dev/guile-v2-work
>
> and git will find the right reference to delete.  But you cannot push
> the replacement in the same manner since once the old reference is gone,
> disambiguation between various reference types (branches, tags,
> whatever) no longer has anything to go by.  So in order not to make
> mistakes, I use the full reference both for deleting and repushing.
>
> So why rebase at all?  Sometimes this repeated work for a long-running
> branch is just not done and instead only merge commits with master are
> made.  Those are then a descendent of both branch and master (and can
> consequently be pushed to either without deletion).  Less work, but also
> sometimes hard to see what actually happened.  This makes sense when
> several people work continuously on the same branch, like the
> translation branches.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

Thanks for the inside.

One additional question: If I want to add something to the then
updated branch, would
$ git push origin HEAD:dev/guile-v2-work
work or would I need to follow the route you described above?

Thanks,
  Harm