Re: How to update a remote branch (remotes/origin/dev/guile-v2-work)

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: How to update a remote branch (remotes/origin/dev/guile-v2-work)
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 17:24:13 +0100 (BST)

Hello,

On Fri, 8 Jun 2018 00:40:46 +0200, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> >> One additional question: If I want to add something to the then
> >> updated branch, would
> >> $ git push origin HEAD:dev/guile-v2-work
> >> work or would I need to follow the route you described above?
> >
> > As long as you don't rebase, your followup work is a descendant of the
> > previous work and can be pushed without deletion.
> >
> > --
> > David Kastrup
>
> Ok
> I'll check for `make doc' tomorrow and, if successful, will push the
> rebased branch afterwards.

If this works (the 'make doc' that is) should I be starting to 'use' Guile
2.whatever to test patches now?

I know that if I upgrade from Ubuntu 16.04 to 18.04 I'll lose Guile 1.8 and get
whatever Guile they package and from a 'quick-and-dirty' test I did a few
months ago before 18.04 was official I couldn't make anything (let alone
test-baselines and doc).

I have no need to go to 18.04 (16.04 is still LTS for a few more years yet) but
if I ought to be testing patches on Guile 2.whatver would that be
counter-productive or help the cause?

Thanks

James