Re: How to update a remote branch (remotes/origin/dev/guile-v2-work)

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: How to update a remote branch (remotes/origin/dev/guile-v2-work)
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2018 19:43:12 +0100

On 07/06/18 23:36, David Kastrup wrote:
> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> One additional question: If I want to add something to the then
>> updated branch, would
>> $ git push origin HEAD:dev/guile-v2-work
>> work or would I need to follow the route you described above?
>
> As long as you don't rebase, your followup work is a descendant of the
> previous work and can be pushed without deletion.

I think the rule is

If you haven't pushed, you can rebase and it won't count.

If you haven't rebased, you can push.

The thing to remember is that a rebase EDITS your commit history. So
long as all rebases post-date your last commit, yours is the only
affected repo, so it doesn't matter.

But if the rebase edits a commit you've already pushed, woe betide you
if you now push those changes! You've just corrupted the upstream
repository! Again, it doesn't matter if nobody pulled from upstream
between your two pushes, but if they did you've now got a bunch of repos
that are out of sync with each other and with conflicting histories. Cue
a MASSIVE headache sorting out the mess.

Cheers,
Wol