Re: How to update a remote branch (remotes/origin/dev/guile-v2-work)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: How to update a remote branch (remotes/origin/dev/guile-v2-work)
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2018 15:20:05 +0200

Wols Lists <address@hidden> writes:

> On 07/06/18 23:36, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> One additional question: If I want to add something to the then
>>> updated branch, would
>>> $ git push origin HEAD:dev/guile-v2-work
>>> work or would I need to follow the route you described above?
>>
>> As long as you don't rebase, your followup work is a descendant of the
>> previous work and can be pushed without deletion.
>>
> I think the rule is
>
> If you haven't pushed, you can rebase and it won't count.
>
> If you haven't rebased, you can push.
>
> The thing to remember is that a rebase EDITS your commit history. So
> long as all rebases post-date your last commit, yours is the only
> affected repo, so it doesn't matter.
>
> But if the rebase edits a commit you've already pushed, woe betide you
> if you now push those changes! You've just corrupted the upstream
> repository! Again, it doesn't matter if nobody pulled from upstream
> between your two pushes, but if they did you've now got a bunch of repos
> that are out of sync with each other and with conflicting histories. Cue
> a MASSIVE headache sorting out the mess.

This bunch of repos with conflicting histories due to the massive amount
of people working in parallel on Guilev2 migration is a consideration
I would very much like to be afraid of.  As it stands, I am pretty sure
I can coach whoever has a problem in that regard through easily, but
would be quite surprised if the number exceeded zero.