Re: GUB

From: Knut Petersen
Subject: Re: GUB
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2018 23:12:43 +0200

Am 10.07.2018 um 22:08 schrieb Jan Nieuwenhuizen:
Karlin High writes:

Who is "we", "everyone", and "we", respectively, in that last sentence?
I read it like this:

"GUB does have some things that Guix does not have, but if [LilyPond
GUB contributors] add them to Guix, [all Guix users] can enjoy and
[the LilyPond community] doesn't have to maintain [the LilyPond
packaging tools] alone."
That's more what I meant to say.  Maintaining GUB for LilyPond only
seems a waste of effort and does not scale.

GUB worked for a long time, but we have a) an unsolved problem building the pdfs of the english documentation of stable/2.20, have b) a situation where GUB does not build lilypond master because of a python incompatibility and c) see that GUB needs maintenance because it does not work on a number of modern distributions.

No matter if we will use Guix or GUB in the future, the current problems need
to be analyzed and fixed soon. Switching to Guix certainly takes some time, so
I really think we have to fix GUB at least one more time.

Knut