Re: Export to MusicXML

From: James
Subject: Re: Export to MusicXML
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2018 09:49:29 +0100

Hello Alex,

On 16/10/2018 5:49 am, Alex Roitman wrote:
Hello,

I apologize in advance if this was already asked and answered on this list.
I’m looking into exporting some of my lilypond music into the MusicXML format.
All I could find so far was the python-ly package that attempts to translate ly
files into MusicXML.  It has some issues that could be fixed, and some that I
don’t think could be so easily fixed, e.g. whether or not to place accidentals,
beams, and so on.

It seems to me that the nature of the MusicXML format is such that in can only
be correctly written when the music is interpreted in context.  Which is what
lilypond does.  So I’m guessing that the right way to go about this is to
create a new Translator, alongside Performer and Engraver, that instead of
midi/graphical objects just dumps XML.

Finally, here are my questions:
1. Does this seem like a right approach?
2. Was this ever attempted and is there any work left that one can continue?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Alex

I am not sure about work that was 'left' (or attempted in the past) but I assume you have checked our issue tracker? (although a lot of the open issues are to do with musicxml2ly than anything else.

At first blush I'd say no. However I have only been with LP for ~ 6 years and cannot recall anything in that time, but there may have been some work done previously, but I cannot see any 'abandoned' issues either - where you may see some remnant of previous work/patches.

Also see:

Which may have some of the kind of answers/information you might be seeking.

Regards

James