Re: 2.20 plans.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: 2.20 plans.
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 12:29:14 +0100

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

> Something of a hiatus at this end because I was unexpectedly called up
> to perform in a production of The Gondoliers singing Luiz at 2 weeks'
> notice. It was last week and I'm still a bit weary.

Ah, that makes sense.  I was afraid I had been at fault for dropping the
ball here somehow.  Hope it went well.

> I think the best bet might be simply to start a new Gub instance on my
> build computer.  To date I've used a VM, but since the machine is now
> running a 32 bit version of Ubuntu, I see no reason not to run it on
> the machine itself. I'll start this up later in the week.

32bit is on the way out, so if you get into excessive amounts of trouble
that may be related to architecture, consider upgrading to 64bit.  It
also has the advantage of being able to make use of more than 3GB in a
single process (which admittedly is more important for VM use in the
context of Ubuntu than native) and security fixes and other stuff tend
to come for the 64bit versions first.

I've run a 32bit user land on a 64bit kernel for a while, but there are
some libraries and interfaces (I remember particularly ALSA MIDI) that
can crash under that configuration.  So an all-out 64bit system tends to
work better than intermediate forms.