Re: GUB prerequistes

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: GUB prerequistes
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 17:39:09 +0100

Il giorno mer 12 dic 2018 alle 14:31, David Kastrup <address@hidden> ha scritto:
Federico Bruni <address@hidden> writes:

 Il giorno mer 12 dic 2018 alle 9:32, David Kastrup <address@hidden> ha
 scritto:

 Is that also what is currently blocking Phil from creating the next
 release?

 No, he's using Ubuntu and he was blocked by a different problem.

So basically some Ubuntu update/install broke his ability to run GUB and
either that needs to get fixed, or LilyDev needs to become GUB-capable
(which it probably was at some point of time) and then he'd use that (at
the reduced performance the VM will provide) to get back to releasing
matters.

So nobody was actively working on the Ubuntu problem he experienced,
correct?  Sorry, I'm really not on top of things.

I had a private email exchange with Phil to get all the possible details of the environment where he was able to build GUB. It was a Ubuntu 14.04 machine running in VirtualBox:

## START ##

address@hidden:~$ uname -a
Linux gub-VirtualBox 3.13.0-91-generic #138-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jun 24 15:58:13 UTC 2016 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux
address@hidden:~$ makeinfo --version
The program 'makeinfo' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install texinfo
address@hidden:~$ gcc --version
gcc (Ubuntu 4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04.3) 4.8.4
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

address@hidden:~$ python -V
Python 2.7.6

address@hidden:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release:        14.04
Codename:       trusty
address@hidden:~$ dpkg --print-architecture
i386

## END ##

I don't know if it was a general Ubuntu or an old LilyDev (before I started working on LilyDev.. as I've always built LilyDev images based on Debian or Fedora).

I've never been able to build GUB on LilyDev.

I've made a lot of attempts last month. I even tried setting up Ubuntu 14.04 i386 as above, running under VirtualBox, but GUB failed to build. I've given up. I think any effort would be best invested into a new build tool.