Re: Use "simple strings" rather than #"hash-prefixed Scheme strings" (is

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Use "simple strings" rather than #"hash-prefixed Scheme strings" (issue 363910043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 20:59:15 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> On 2019/02/10 18:41:33, Carl wrote:
>> Because this represents a change in the documentation policy as listed
> in the
>> CG, I think it should be discussed.
>
>> In the past, one could get along by saying "All properties start with
> #", even
>> though it wasn't strictly necessary.  With this new change, once must
> understand
>> which properties need # and which don't.
>
>> I think the following is correct, although I haven't tested it:
>
>> Numbers -- don't need #
>
> I think I remember some cases where # is requiered for numbers, not
> sure, though
>
>> Simple strings -- don't need #
>
> In markup-mode they do

Not in current master.

>> Scm values do need #
>>    Boolean #f, #t
>>    Symbols
>>    Scheme expressions
>
> Though, we already can do:
>
> xy = foo,bar,buzz
> zz = foo
>
> \void \displayScheme \xy
> \void \displayScheme \zz
>
> The first is a list of symbols, the second a string.

Not overly happy with this one: at some point of time I'd prefer the
second to be a single symbol unless enclosed in quote marks.  Several
aspects here are a bit hand-wavy at the moment which makes it somewhat
desirable not to commit to documenting and keeping a particular
behavior.

> To summarize, I'm a bit undecided about this patch, but probably I
> weakly tend not to do it.

Since markup mode already removed # marks for strings, this is somewhat
more motivated but I haven't checked in detail how far this proposal
goes.