LilyPond's gs console output on windows

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: LilyPond's gs console output on windows
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 06:28:31 +0200 (CEST)

Folks,

on a Windows 10 box I downloaded and installed the binary distribution
of 2.19.83, which worked fine; I was able to compile a PDF on the
Windows command line (I think that drag and drop to the lilypond icon
doesn't work, but since my Windows knowledge is too limited I haven't
pursued this further).  Then I tried to directly call `gs', the
ghostscript binary that comes with lilypond.  It produces an empty
line on the console, and that's it.  Later on, I wondered why the
laptop's fan suddenly starts to run loudly – checking with the task
manager I saw that gs still run as a background process...

After some tests I found out that only redirecting the stdout output
to a file works on the Windows console.  On the other hand, using the
bash shell that comes with git for windows, I get proper output on the
bash window without redirection.  This behaviour is different to the
lilypond binary, which produces output in both the Windows console and
git bash.

I know wonder whether this problem is

  (1) limited to the gs program that comes with lilypond,
  (2) related to the way gub is compiling gs,
  (3) connected to changes in the Windows 10 console,
  (4) or whether this a generic issue with gs itself, probably fixed
      in newer gs versions.

If we will have this behaviour with the next gub build also, I suggest
that it gets documented.

    Werner